*Conversational English in an Academic Environment
21. January 2019
Time: 9:30am - 5:30pm
Registration: until 07 January 2019
The aim of this workshop is to improve spoken English in an academic context. This one-day course focuses on the English needed when presenting and networking at conferences, contributing at informal meetings and sending emails.
- Understand the role of culture on your communication style/Anticipate typical conversation topics and areas of small talk and prepare with relevant vocabulary
- Explain your work to experts and non-experts
- Present your work at a conference or working group
- Asking and answering questions, interrupting. Asking for and giving opinions.
- Emailing in English
Qualification objective Gain confidence in speaking English to fellow academics in an international environment.
Trainer Lesley-Anne Weiling is an English native speaker from Ireland and has been living and working in Germany for 15 years. She co-founded Write English, a consultancy specialising in training and coaching doctoral candidates, postdocs and senior researchers in spoken and written academic English. She has worked with universities and research institutions through Germany including the TU Berlin, Hamburg University, Cologne University, and Bonn University.
Dieses Seminar können Sie für das hochschuldidaktische Zertifikat am Fortbildungszentrum Hochschullehre (FBZHL) anrechnen lassen. Sie erhalten dafür 8 Arbeitseinheiten (AE) im Bereich B.
* Anrechenbarkeit der Veranstaltung im Rahmen des Auftaktseminars